After my last cupboard makeover, I decided to start on another one. I spotted this cupboard in a Charity shop which was a bargain at only £40. The quality is great; it has veneered wood to the panels on the front, ball feet legs, a carved pediment, and has immaculate joinery inside. I guess it to be around the 1930’s. However it is very solid in colour, and some of the veneer was beginning to flake on the panels. So I was happy to give it a makeover and not feel bad!
I am obsessed with ‘Snow Tree’ wallpaper by Colefax and Fowler at the moment, and decided to use the cream colour way on this Armoire. I managed to source some on Ebay for £42, down from the usual £58. I already had some Annie Sloan chalk paint in Olive, County Grey and Original leftover from other projects which suited the wallpaper’s colours.
I painted all large areas of the Armoire except the front panels in Country Grey to start, and the detail mouldings in Olive. At this point an issue came to light as the right hand door did not have beading on the inner left side, which would make wallpapering the panel neatly very tricky. I popped down to the local DIY store and bought a piece of 180 degree fine wood moulding for £1.80, and with my craft knife I trimmed off the flat edge so it became a pure semi circle. I then used my best friend, No More Nails, to stick the beading in place and painted it Olive. Bingo! Now I had a raised edge to abut the wallpaper so I had a neat edge.
I then added detail to the pediment, feet and any mouldings on the Armoire which were painted Olive, by dry brushing Country Grey very lightly on top.
Finally it was time to wallpaper. I started on the right panel, using wallpaper paste on the paper and letting it soak in for a good 10 minutes before pasting to the panel. I fold the paper onto itself as well so the paste does not dry out when this soaking period takes place. I then hung the paper, trimmed it to fit exactly into the space using a pair of sharp scissors, (I find craft knives always tear wet paper). A damp sponge then smoothed it into place.
To paper the left hand panel, I mentally ignored the two pieces of beading that separate the wallpaper and trimmed the wallpaper so it smoothly flowed across the entire front. Then it looks like the paper actually runs below the beading. I then left the paper to dry before the next steps. Time for a coffee!
The wallpaper has a very distinctive background of dragged paint marks whereas my paint to the Armoire was solid, so I decided to emulate the effect on the front of the armoire edges to match.
On a plate I put a blob of Country Grey, and one of Original white and poured a little water on top of all. Then using a rough and stiff paintbrush I gently painted lines in both colours on top of all the pale paintwork to the front of the Armoire, so it has paler and darker tones. It is not a total match, but I think it compliments the piece better than a dead flat colour.
Finally I waxed the whole piece where paint had been applied with clear Annie Sloan wax plus buffed it to get a good sheen. I also applied a dead flat clear glaze to the wallpaper to protect it.
Sadly I have nowhere for this beauty to go, which is why it is currently standing in my hallway . I really do not want to let it go! But for a total cost of £94 I am pretty pleased with the results and hope it inspires people to get creative with wallpapering furniture.
2 thoughts on “Armoire Makeover on a tiny budget”
Thank you 😍
That’s gorgeous! I have also run out of space to put any furniture in my (tiny) house so I’m just admiring these projects from afar..
LikeLiked by 1 person