How to hack a Kallax or two….
So it seems ages ago that I started on the Ikea Hack, which you can read my plans on here. I spent 3 afternoons at my sisters building away, and it took ages to get around to photographing it due to flu, distance and time! However, here it is finally. Apologies in advance for the photos not being totally crisp, but the room has very little natural daylight so my flash was needed a lot…
We went down to Ikea and spent ages looking at the bookcases they had available. On reflection, we decided to forego the breakfront effect and go for a freestanding simple piece that could take all of her LP’s, books and more. LP’s are deep, so they fit best in this type of storage system. Kallax units seemed the best as they are extra deep.
As you can see they are very modern and graphic. But they baskets are nice made from rattan and palm leaves, and give a future option for storage.
So we bough one 16 x cube Kallax and one 4 x cube horizontal Kallax. We then headed home and I put them all together (top tip, electric screwdriver…)
Putting the Units together and joining them
The larger Kallax went underneath and the horizontal one was put on top. This made the unit a good height. Obviously it needed to be secured into one safe piece, so on the rear I used fixing plates at regular intervals to keep it secure.
Once that was done, we also added simple 2 x 4 wood batons to the base at each end and in the middle so we had extra height for the base board we wanted to be attached. I also added felt pads so that the piece can be easily slid on the wooden floors without catching and causing damage.
Now this was done we measured the sections we would need cornice for; top and bottom would be the same piece but inverted. On the front of the piece is a double width horizontal section of front shelf where the two Kallax units meet, and so we measured this to make sure we got decorative moulding to cover it. You can see this wide section below.